Vic Kids Eat Well Awards 2022
The Vic Kids Eat Well Awards is an annual celebration of the outstanding contributions of Victorian schools, outside school hours care, sports clubs and community organisations in boosting healthy food and drink options for kids.
The awards acknowledge the innovative ways organisations have made a real impact to kids’ wellbeing in their community by making simple changes and healthy swaps to their menus throughout 2022.
There are two types of Vic Kids Eat Well awards:
‘Big Bite’ awards
These awards are offered for Vic Kids Eat Well member organisations and are based on the four key action areas ('big bites') of the movement:
- Refresh the fridge – for organisations that have reduced or removed sugary drinks from canteens/vending machines and promoted water as a healthy option for kids.
- Switch up the snacks – for organisations that have ditched the sweets and are offering kids healthy snack alternatives.
- Change up the menu – for organisations that have boosted fruit and veggies for kids and reduced fried food and pies.
- Put the ‘fun’ into fundraising – for organisations that have offered kids healthier meal deals and/or included healthy alternatives in marketing and fundraising campaigns.
Special Acknowledgment awards
These awards recognise:
- Individuals who are from a participating organisation, members of the public or health promoters that have made a significant impact and demonstrated outstanding support for Vic Kids Eat Well.
- A network that has achieved significant impact while working through Vic Kids Eat Well together.
There are four Special Acknowledgement awards:
- Community champion – recognising individuals within an organisation who deserve a special mention for their commitment and dedication to the Vic Kids Eat Well movement.
- Health promotor champion – recognising health promoters for their commitment and dedication to the organisations they are supporting as part of Vic Kids Eat Well.
- Kids champion – for kids who have championed the Vic Kids Eat Well movement in their local community organisation .
- Network excellence – recognising a Vic Kids Eat Well network that’s made a significant impact in their community.
why participate in the awards?
Be recognised as a leader in the community
All kids deserve a healthy start! Receiving a Vic Kids Eat Well award shows that your organisation is a leader in boosting healthy food and drink options. You will be honoured for your incredible results and commitment to making simple changes and healthy swaps that have made a big impact to kids’ health and wellbeing.
This opportunity will showcase your organisation’s great work in creating healthier spaces for Victorian kids. Finalists/winners will be promoted across the Vic Kids Eat Well Awards website, social media and media to inspire others in the wider community.
All finalists will be featured at the inaugural Vic Kids Eat Well awards celebrations in early 2023. The awards celebrations are an opportunity to celebrate with like-minded Vic Kids Eat Well participants, industry, government and potentially media.
You’ll receive a plaque and celebration pack including web graphics, social media messages, newsletter and email templates that will help you share your accomplishments with others.
How to enter
Big Bite award
To be eligible for a Big Bite award, your organisation must be registered as a member of Vic Kids Eat Well and have completed a big bite from one of the four action areas:
- refresh the fridge
- switch up the snacks
- change up the menu, or
- put the fun into fundraising and marketing.
All Vic Kids Eat Well participant organisations that complete a big bite are automatically nominated for a Big Bite award. Information provided within each small bite, along with the 200-word response that describes the impact of innovative ways the organisation has implemented Vic Kids Eat Well actions, will be used to judge the awards and choose the winners.
Special Acknowledgement award
Nominations for the Special Acknowledgement awards can also be made via the Vic Kids Eat Well rewards page.
In 200 words or less, indicate why this person or network deserves the award. Detail their actions and positive impact in promoting healthy food and drink options for kids.
Anyone can nominate an individual community member, health promoter or child/young person for an award. They do not need to be part of a participating Vic Kids Eat Well organisation.
Networks nominated for the Network Excellence award must be registered with Vic Kids Eat Well.
NOMINATE A PERSON OR NETWORK FOR A VIC KIDS EAT WELL SPECIAL Acknowledgement award
Tips for writing an awesome entry
The most successful nominations will demonstrate in 200 words or less:
Innovation – innovative ways you have promoted or presented healthier food and drinks options to kids within your food environment. We are looking for creative ideas as to how you’ve brought the small bites to life over the last year.
Impact – reflection on how your changes have made a difference to kids health and wellbeing. This may include community member comments/feedback, data, observations or any other relevant information.
Read the full terms and conditions
Judging process and Timelines
- Applications for 2022 Vic Kids Eat Well Awards close 31 December 2022.
- Applications will be shortlisted and judged in January 2023.
- Finalists will be notified by January 31st 2023.
- Awards ceremony: February 2023.
Nominations in each Big Bite award and Special Acknowledgement award category will be screened and shortlisted. All nominations that progress past the shortlisting round will be assessed by the judging panel with representation from Vic Kids Eat Well, Nutrition Australia’s Healthy Eating Advisory Service, Achievement Program and Cancer Council Victoria.
The winners in each category will be announced at the Vic Kids Eat Well awards ceremony in February 2023. The awards will be held online. Watch this space for more details about this exciting event!
For more information
Contact email@example.com or 1300 185 725.